Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Christian Confusion

As I pull into the driveway of my conservative christian family to join them in celebrating their holy day, I'm greeted with the usual barrage of bumper stickers. "Protect Our Borders," is the first I see, slightly amusing since I'm in Illinois and unless they mean to keep out the Wisconsinites, Iowans, Hoosiers, Missourians or Kentuckians, I have no clue what they are talking about. Maybe those sneaky Canadiens are jumping on rafts and floating into Chicago at night, sight unseen, I don't know. 

In Exodus it seems fairly clear, "Do not mistreat an alien or oppress him, for you were aliens in Egypt," and, "Do not oppress an alien; you yourselves know how it feels to be aliens, because you were aliens in Egypt." Leviticus the same, "When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him," and, "The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the LORD your God." Maybe they understand the lines in Deuteronomy?  "And I charged your judges at that time: Hear the disputes between your brothers and judge fairly, whether the case is between brother israelites or between one of them and an alien," and, "And you are to love those who are aliens, for you yourselves were aliens in Egypt."

Doesn't seem that confusing. 

Well, maybe they are new testament snobs, but even Matthew states, "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in."

All this points out that possibly christians should welcome immigrants, right?

Maybe it's the picking and choosing style of reading that christians embrace since Leviticus also states, "However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you.  You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land.  You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance.  You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way."

But even this shouldn't create the hate that many christians have for those who are trying to better their lives. I mean, at worst, they could buy a couple of latino children, what's wrong with that?

The bible is a teaching of opposing views that cannot be reconciled, which is why the whole religious leaning bunch in this country should be certified insane. You cannot listen to the teachings of the bible and be without internal conflict.

Then the next bumper stickers I see do kind of explain how christians lose to contradiction, always.

A young family member from the lovely state of Wisconsin proudly exhibits, "How's that hopey changey thing going for you," and, "Walker for Governor." I think I understand. This is a young person who thinks destroying safety nets that will enable her to live a comfortable and healthy life in the future are bad things. No need for social security or medicare, she's got it handled; not. 

The only possible reason I can see for this type of acceptance is that god is such a confusing dick that confusion reigns supreme; they cannot reason. The person looks at a message that tries to instill hope and change and instead sees, "How's that rapey and pillaging thingy working for you." 

They cannot define meanings. They lose to what makes discussion possible. If I say apple, they think orange.

Strange thoughts indeed.

Christianity embraces a corrupt morality, one that makes it seemingly impossible for its followers to make sensible decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment